When most people hear the term occupational therapy (OT), they think of work and grownups, not kids. After all, kids don't have "occupations" ... or do they? For babies and toddlers, play is their job. As kids get older, play and school become their jobs. Teens and young adults very often do add jobs to school and play.
Let us help maximize your child's potential. Occupational therapy focuses on fine motor and functional skills to enhance development, restore function and prevent disability from pediatric conditions, illness and injury. Our team of therapists uses individual interventions and cutting edge techniques that address:
- Fine motor skills
- Sensory integration
- Sensory processing
- Self-care activities
Handwriting can provide clues to developmental problems that may hinder a child's learning. Poor handwriting may lead to difficulties with schoolwork and confidence. Handwriting is a complex activity that requires a child to manage the written language.
Preparing for your visit
- We strongly recommend that you check with insurance plan for benefits of home health rehab services.
- Bring recent discharge paperwork, medication lists and physician instructions ready to share with the therapist.
- Make a list of questions or concerns to ask when therapist arrives.
- Prepare a comfortable place for the assessment to take place (clean area on the living room floor or kitchen table).
- Patient should be dressed in loose comfortable clothing.
- Parent or primary caregiver should be present during evaluation to answer questions and help make the child comfortable.
- The therapist conducting the admission will assess home safety and address emergency preparedness strategies with the family.
Education and resources
Contact Cook Children's Home Health
If you or your office would like to meet with a representative, please contact your local physician liaison.
Referrals may be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After hours, an answering service will connect referring physicians or clinicians to the on-call nurse